1 (909) 392-1731 International
Paper Pak Industries is committed to a dynamic, earth-friendly approach to doing business. In fact, PPI is unique in the absorbent industry in that we are structurally green.
This is not a recent phenomenon, as PPI has embraced the importance of being a good corporate citizen since our founding in 1960.
For over 50 years, much of PPI's product line has been based on the use of recycled materials. Today, our Clean Green environmental program is the result of our longstanding commitment to be an efficient, socially conscious company.
Clean Green has produced several earth-friendly products and operations processes that are unique to our industry. Central to Clean Green's success is PPI's unending search for new ways to create sustainable products that provide environmental benefit.
Clean Green is saving thousands of trees annually, conserving natural resources, reusing recycled products, reducing and composting waste, cleaning process water, and emitting fewer greenhouse gases. Our approach includes:
- Conserving, Reusing and Recycling
- Eliminating, Reducing and Disposing of Waste
- Developing Safe, Sustainable Products
- Making Environmental Stewardship Part of Our Business Relationships
- Continually Improving Our Performance
Paper Pak Industries been recognized on the city, county, and state levels for our Clean Green recycling and energy conservation efforts.
Conserving, Reusing and Recycling
- We conserve natural resources by using recycled materials and supplies, by the efficient use of energy, and by the participation in recycling programs for our products after they have served their useful life. We encourage and support the sustainable use of renewable natural resources.
- We purchase recycled fiber as the principle part of our papermaking process, eliminating the need to cut down trees to create virgin pulp, thus protecting one of Earth's most precious natural resources - trees.
- We recover our scrap tissue from our converting process and re-use it in the making of our core paper.
Eliminating, Reducing and Disposing of Waste
- We reduce, and where possible, eliminate waste through source reduction and recycling at our manufacturing facilities. All waste is handled and disposed of through safe and responsible methods.
- We clean as much process water from our paper process as possible and reuse nearly half of the water on a daily basis. The discarded water is settled to reduce impurities prior to sending the water to city municipalities for treatment and reuse.
- We recycle sludge into a compost material. Sludge, a byproduct of our papermaking process, is composted through an external facility. This helps us eliminate nearly 240 yards of waste per month, reducing our overall landfill contribution and respective costs for disposal.
- We bale, dry and sell our plastic trim scrap. This waste product is sold externally to converters that utilize this material to make laminates. Therefore, we utilize a second waste stream that is reclaimed, rather than land-filled. Currently, our re-use efforts help avoid three truck loads of waste per month.
- Discarded cardboard is sold as scrap corrugated container material. A byproduct of our manufacturing operations, the scrap cardboard is collected, baled, and segregated for sale and reuse.
- Our metal scrap is collected into controlled bins. This scrap material is sold to reclaiming facilities thatreprocess the metal into other metal-based products for future sale.
- Our plastic material wastes are collected, baled, and segregated for disposal with reclaim operators that will re-use this material to manufacture even more products.
Developing Safe, Sustainable Products
- We develop, manufacture, and market products that are safe for their intended use. Our environmental policies and practices aim to protect, conserve, or sustain the world's natural resources, as well as to protect our customers and the communities in which we live and operate.
- The development of our EnviroPak product line is central to our sustainability efforts. These biodegradable products improve the natural disposal of absorbent food safety pads. Our UltraZapEnviroPak Terra absorbent food pads are biodegradable and compostable per ASTM 6400 standards and comply with FDA/USDA (USA) and European food packaging standards.
Making Environmental Stewardship Part of Everyday Business
- We strive to incorporate our Clean Green environmental principles into each of our business relationships. We seek similar commitments to the environment from our major suppliers. We also strive to keep our customers informed of our efforts and welcome their feedback.
Continually Improving Our Performance
- We set objectives and targets to ensure continuous improvement in our environmental performance. We regularly review our business activities and assess our Clean Green environmental programs, practices, and goals to evaluate our progress, as well as to identify areas where we believe further improvements can be made.
UltraZapEnviroPak Terra: Natural To the Core
UltraZapEnviroPak Terra food safety pads feature a natural tissue core that is biodegradable, compostable and just as sanitary, safe, and absorbent as bleached white tissue. PPI's natural tissue is made using a chlorine/bleach-free process that requires less energy and leaves a smaller carbon footprint. Learn More.
A Thinner Pad Creates Logistics and Merchandising Efficiencies
Paper Pak Industries' crepe cellulose pad is thinner, therefore allowing us to pack more pads per roll or per case. More pads per roll and case create logistics and production efficiencies for our customers.
The Natural Way to Extend Cut Tomatoes' Freshness
UltraZapXtendaPak active absorbents maintain fresh cut tomatoes' sensory features - smell, color, and texture - and extend the shelf life by slowing the product's respiration rate. Learn More.
Benefit From PPI's Active Absorbent Technology
Paper Pak Industries is recognized as the ideal resource to maximize the effectiveness of fresh protein and produce packaging environments. The company manufacturers over 400 different absorbent pads, active absorbents and intelligent technologies designed for your particular packaging application. Learn More.
Click here to download our Clean Green Brochure
Contact PPI via Phone or Email
U.S. & Canada 1 (888) 293-6529
International 1 (909) 392-1731